Followers

Sponsored Advertisement

.

WHO PUT E ON THE TOP OF THE EYE CHART ? AND WHY?

Have u ever think who was the introducer or inventor for the eye chart? Here are some points to share. Hermann Snellen , a Dutch professor of ophthalmology, put the E on top of the eye chart in 1862. Although his very first chart was headed by an A, Snellen quickly composed another chart with E on the top.Snellen succeeded Dr Frans Cornelis Donders as Director of the Netherlands Hospital for Eye Patients. Donders was then the world's foremost authority on geometric optic.Snellen was trying to standardise a test to diagnose visual acuity , to measure how small an image an eye can accept while still detecting the detail of that image.Donders's complicated formulas were based on three parallel lines, of all the letters of tha alphabert , the capital E most closely resembled the lines that Fonders had studied so intensively . Because Donders had earlierst determined how the eyes preceivers the E, Snellen based mush of his methamatical work on the fifth letter. 

The three horizontal limbs of the E are saperated by an equal amount of white space. In Snellen's original chart , there was a ont-to-one ratio between the height and width of the letters, and the gaps and bars were all the same lenth (in some moden eye charts, the middle bar is shorter).






Eye chart




Louanne Gould of Cambridge Instruments says that the E, unlike more open letters like L or U, forces the observers to distinguish between white and black, an important constituent of good vision. Without this ability, Es begin to look like Bs, Fs, Ps or many other letters.


Of course, Snellen couldn't make an eye chart full of only E's. or else all hos patients would have 20-10 vision. But Snellen realised that it was important to use the same letters many times on the eye charts, to ensure that the failure of an observer to identify a letter was based on a visual problem rather than the relative difficulty of a set of letters. Ian Bailey, Professor of Optometry and Director of the Low Vision Vloni at the University of California at Berkeley, says that it isnt so important whether an eye chart uses the easiest or most difficult letters. Most eye charts incorporate only ten different letters, ones that have the smallest range of difficulty.

Today, manu eye charts do not start with an E - and there is no technical reason why they have to - but most still so. Dr. Stephen C Miller of the American Optometric Association suggests that the desire of optical companies ti have a standardised approach to the production of eye charts probably accounts fr the preponderance of E charts.


And we're happy about it. It's a nice feeling to know that even if our vision is falling us miserably, we'll  always get the top row right.

19 comments:

  1. My brother suggested I might like this website.
    He was entirely right. This post actually made
    my day. You can not imagine just how much time I had spent for
    this info! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hurrah! Finally I got a website from where I
    be able to truly get valuable information regarding my study and knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does your site have a contact page? I'm having trouble
    locating it but, I'd like to shoot you an e-mail.

    I've got some suggestions for your blog you might be interested
    in hearing. Either way, great website and I look forward to seeing it improve over time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Greate pieces. Keep writing such kind of info on your blog.
    Im really impressed by your blog.
    Hello there, You've performed a fantastic job. I will certainly digg it and in my opinion recommend to my friends.

    I am confident they will be benefited from this website.

    ReplyDelete
  5. AnonymousMay 02, 2019

    Link exchange is nothing else except it is only placing the other person's weblog link on your page at proper place and other person will also do similar for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. AnonymousMay 04, 2019

    Heya i am for the first time here. I came across this board and I find It
    really useful & it helped me out a lot. I hope to give something back and aid others like you aided me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. AnonymousMay 06, 2019

    I think the admin of this website is in fact working hard
    in favor of his web site, because here every data is quality based
    material.

    ReplyDelete
  8. AnonymousMay 07, 2019

    Someone essentially assist to make seriously posts I would state.

    This is the very first time I frequented your web page and to
    this point? I amazed with the analysis you made to create this actual post incredible.
    Excellent activity!

    ReplyDelete
  9. AnonymousMay 07, 2019

    Ahaa, its nice dialogue concerning this post here at
    this website, I have read all that, so at this
    time me also commenting at this place.

    ReplyDelete
  10. AnonymousMay 07, 2019

    This post is invaluable. How can I find out more?

    ReplyDelete
  11. AnonymousMay 07, 2019

    Wonderful web site. Lots of helpful info here.
    I'm sending it to some pals ans additionally sharing in delicious.
    And obviously, thanks in your effort!

    ReplyDelete
  12. AnonymousMay 07, 2019

    Please let me know if you're looking for a author for your weblog.
    You have some really good posts and I think I would be a good asset.

    If you ever want to take some of the load off, I'd absolutely
    love to write some articles for your blog in exchange for a link back to mine.
    Please shoot me an email if interested. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. AnonymousMay 10, 2019

    Hello, Neat post. There is a problem along with your web
    site in internet explorer, may check this? IE nonetheless is the marketplace
    chief and a large component to folks will omit your
    wonderful writing due to this problem.

    ReplyDelete
  14. AnonymousMay 15, 2019

    Hi, everything is going sound here and ofcourse every one is sharing facts, that's in fact excellent,
    keep up writing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. AnonymousMay 17, 2019

    Hurrah, that's what I was exploring for, what a stuff! present here at
    this weblog, thanks admin of this website.

    ReplyDelete
  16. AnonymousMay 21, 2019

    Whats up very nice web site!! Man .. Beautiful .. Amazing ..
    I will bookmark your web site and take the feeds also? I'm satisfied to find so many
    useful info here within the post, we need work out extra
    strategies on this regard, thank you for sharing.
    . . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  17. AnonymousMay 23, 2019

    I loved as much as you'll receive carried out right here.
    The sketch is attractive, your authored material
    stylish. nonetheless, you command get got an edginess over
    that you wish be delivering the following. unwell unquestionably come further formerly
    again as exactly the same nearly a lot often inside case you shield this increase.

    ReplyDelete
  18. AnonymousMay 23, 2019

    Very good information. Lucky me I came across
    your website by accident (stumbleupon). I've saved it for later!

    ReplyDelete
  19. AnonymousMay 27, 2019

    Hurrah! Finally I got a web site from where I be capable of in fact obtain valuable facts
    concerning my study and knowledge.

    ReplyDelete


“Semoga Allah SWT akan membalas kamu dengan kebaikan yang banyak dan semoga Allah SWT akan membalas kamu dengan balasan yang terbaik.”.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...